Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stress, Running and The Mud Run

So, back when I first started running I was very focused on improving my time and after training for an organized event, getting my time down pretty low (about 9.5 minute mile) I was feeling pretty good about my progress. However, I did injure my ankles pretty badly in the process and realized how much I really hate organized events when I'm in a competitive mode. Since then I relaxed and stopped worrying about how fast I was and focused more on distance and how I felt. Because of my school schedule this past year and a half I had to give up my runs because there simply wasn't time. Well, my stress levels climbed and elevated to the point that I had to begin to take some pretty drastic measures to deal with it (at least to me they were). In addition to other things I started running again. This time I absolutely didn't care about distance or time but how I felt. It didn't take me very long to work my way back up to a 5 mile route including a nice hill climb at the beginning. I still haven't timed myself but I feel GREAT! I love the days when I feel as if I could just keep on going indefinitely, that is a true "runners high" for me. So, this is doing wonders for my stress levels and making me an easier person to be around which my husband appreciates I'm sure. I began to think about organized events again, setting goals and achieving higher accomplishments. I have entertained the idea of training for a half marathon. That is about 13 miles. Right now I'm at the level of training for a 10K so I don't see bumping things up to training levels for a half marathon as that much more  difficult. Maybe I will consider this more seriously after I'm finished with school though - to be realistic. Today a friend mentioned The Mud Run and I've always wanted to do that - just for fun, because it looks like so much fun! You get a team of friends together and you get dirty as hell running the obstacle course at Camp Pendleton, invoking my childhood affection for getting dirty! Sadly, according the The Mud Run website this years event is sold out. However, I will definitely be getting early registration for next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment